Dr. Sang Dae Kim is a professor of Dept. of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering at Korea University. He is also POSCO Steel Chair Professor, which was founded to promote structural steel’s research in construction by POSCO.
After earning his Ph.D. in Structural Engineering from the University of Illinois at Chicago in 1988, he began his academic career at Korea University, where he now teaches several sub¬jects including Structural Analysis, Design of Steel Structures, Structural Dynamics, Seismic Analysis and Design and Analysis of Tall Buildings. He was the Chairman of the organizing committee for the “CTBUH 2004 Seoul Conference” which was held in October 2004. He founded the Korean chapter of CTBUH, K-CTBUH, in 2008. Dr. Kim was a field editor of Journal of Asian Architecture and Building Engineering (JAABE), which is jointly published by Korea, Japan and China. Also, he was the Chair of the Korean Society of Steel Construction’s (KSSC) “International Symposium on Steel Structures” which was held in Seoul in November 2006. He has served as Managing Editor of the International Journal of Steel Structures (IJOSS), as well as the 2001-2002 Vice President for the Korean Society of Steel Construction.
- B.S. in Architectural Engineering, Korea University, Seoul (1977)
- M.S. in Structural Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago (1982)
- Ph.D. in Structural Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago (1988)
- Dissertation: A study of the root-mean-square response spectrum for seismic analysis of structures – a pseudo random vibration approach.
- Former Vice President, Architectural Institute of Korea
- Former Vice President, Korean Society of Steel Structures
- Director, Hyundai Steel Corporation
- Former Director, Center for Steel Structures and Engineering
- Chairman, “International Symposium on Asian Architecture”, October, 2006, Seoul, Korea